Start my immigration project

Work permit

There are 3 situations regarding the work permit.

Assess your career prospects in Quebec using Emploi-Québec’s online labour market information portal.

To receive a temporary work permit, you first need to receive a job offer from a Quebec business. 

If you are selected following a job interview, your future employer will need to complete certain steps (see the employer’s steps). Afterwards, you will also have to complete some steps as the worker (do not start any procedures until your employer has completed their steps).

You will then be issued a temporary work permit, also called a “closed” work permit (because this permit is linked to a specific employer).

Please note: Depending on your country of origin, you may need a temporary resident visa to enter Canada.

Spouse and children

If you apply for a job in the 0 (zero), A or B job groups in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) and you are authorized to work in Canada for a period of six months or more, your spouse (no matter their gender) may be issued an open work permit (i.e. not linked to any specific employer). This permit allows them to work in Quebec. The validity of this open permit cannot exceed the period of validity of the primary applicant’s work permit.

Requesting a work permit for an accompanying spouse is generally done when entering Canada.

If the applicants come from a country that does require a visa, the application can be made at a Canadian visa office, ideally at the same time as the primary applicant’s temporary work permit request. 

To learn more, check out the section on visas and immigration/temporary work/spouses and common-law partners at your local Canadian visa office (view list).

If you already hold a work permit, your children below the age of 18 or your dependent children can attend school in Canada. Different types of procedures apply based on their age, whether they accompany you or join you later, etc. Here is the general procedure if your spouse or children accompany you.

Study permit for you or your spouse

If you or your spouse wish to study for more than six months, you first need to apply for a study permit and a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate).

We have a whole section dedicated to studying in the Québec City region, so make sure to check it out!

Once in Quebec, if you want to stay longer than the period granted by your initial work permit, you can apply for: 

  • a work permit extension or renewal;
  • permanent residence (before the end of your work permit);
  • an extension of your stay as a visitor (this allows you to stay temporarily in Canada, but you cannot work or study in Canada during this time).

In any case, our team dedicated to immigrant workers is always there to help and guide you along the way.

Contact us! 


Who does this apply to?

  • professionals/technicians
  • independent professionals
  • workers transferring within a company
  • investors, etc.

Business people can go to Canada through either of the following free trade agreements:

  • The Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement
  • Other free trade agreements
  • The General Agreement on Trade in Services

Those workers are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and do not need to apply for a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (Quebec Acceptation Certificate, CAQ).

Important: The term “business people” is not to be confused with “business visitors.” Business visitors are part of a distinct category who need to meet different requirements. They generally do not need a work permit (visit the IRCC website).


Do not confuse the work permit for business people with the possibility to apply for immigration as a business person!

Learn more about the procedure to apply for permanent residence as a business person.



Would you like to come and live in the beautiful city of Québec or its surroundings? Tell us if you would like to come to study or work there and we will send you relevant information related to your immigration project!