Start my immigration project

Study permits

Study permits

Temporary immigration for studies in Quebec is a shared jurisdiction between the federal (Canadian) government and the provincial government (of the Province of Quebec).

If you are planning to come to Canada for a short-term study program (6 months or less), you do not need a study permit or a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).

If you are planning to come for a training course of more than 6 months, regardless of the level, you need:

It is also important to choose an establishment that is recognized by a provincial or territorial government for hosting foreign students: a designated learning institution (DLI).

To obtain a study permit, you will have to complete 2 successive steps:  

Watch this video from our partner, BB Immigration, an immigration law firm, which explains the steps to obtain a temporary study permit in Canada.

Let’s recap! Here are the steps to become an international student in the Québec City area.

What you need to find is a study level, a program and a designated learning institution (DLI) that correspond to your objectives for your future studies in Québec City or in the region.

This step is completely free; there is no need for an intermediary.

A – Choose a study level that suits you:

  • Vocational training
  • College training (technical or continuing)
  • University education

+ Learn more about the Quebec school system and how it compares to other school systems.

B – Consult the list of establishments (DLI) that offer your chosen study level and choose one or more programs that interest you.

+ Apply to multiple establishments, for different study programs. You can apply to up to two programs per institution.

Important: Wait until you are officially accepted on to a study program by a designated learning institution (DLI) before you begin your immigration process!

You can consult the full list of DLIs on the official Canadian immigration website (IRCC) but be aware that all educational establishments that participate in our international student initiatives are, of course, recognized as DLIs.

With your acceptance letter, you will be able to complete your CAQ application for your studies through the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI).

For this, you will need:

  • your acceptance letter to a DLI; and
  • a valid passport.

You will also need to prove your financial ability to cover all tuition fees (as quoted), transportation costs (from and to your home country), settlement fees and living expenses for your first year of study.

As a guide, for a single person aged 18 or over, the total living expenses are approximately $13,000 (Canadian dollars) per year, plus tuition. See more details on proof of financial capacity.

You will find on this Quebec government page more information about studying in Quebec, such as:

  • documents required to apply for a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ);
  • fees for applying for temporary selection for studies as a foreign student;
  • processing time for your CAQ application;
  • obtaining authorizations to study in Quebec.

Once you have received a positive decision from the MIFI on your temporary selection application, you can apply for a study permit from the Canadian government

You don’t need an intermediary to complete your application!

You can apply online or on paper. If you need help filling out your application, contact your nearest visa application centre (VAC).

Find out more about:

If an internship is an essential part of your study program, also apply for a work permit as an intern or co-op program student.

Here are some other things to know if:

you wish to be accompanied by your spouse or common-law partner;

you wish to be accompanied by your minor child(ren);

you wish to work during your studies. See also the Canadian government website Studying and working in Canada as an international student.

Note: In order to work in Canada, you must obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada.

You should also find out what the enrolment fees are for the program you have chosen! Tuition fees vary based on many criteria.


What if you want to work after your studies?

If you have completed at least 8 months of full-time training of more than 900 hours and graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI), you can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). This open work permit will allow you to work for the employer of your choice anywhere in Canada.

As with the study permit, it is possible to include your spouse (or common-law partner) in your application for a post-graduation work permit. This will allow your spouse to apply for an open work permit, valid until the expiry of your PGWP.

Learn more about the PGWP



Would you like to come and live in the beautiful city of Québec or its surroundings? Tell us if you would like to come to study or work there and we will send you relevant information related to your immigration project!